Uses of Common Metals and Non Metals:
All the elements can be classified as metals or non-metals depending on their properties. Metals occupy the bulk of the periodic table, while non-metallic elements can only be found on the right-hand-side of the Periodic Table. Non-metals are found in free state as well as in the form of compounds. On the basis of their general physical and chemical properties, every element in the periodic table can be termed either a metal or a nonmetal (Watch Uses of Metals and Non Metals Video to learn more).
Uses of metals:
1) Zinc metal is used for galvanizing iron , in anti corrosion material, in medicinal fields and in alloys.
2) Iron is used as a construction material in bridges, houses, ships etc. Iron, in the form of steel is used for making domestic utensils.
3) Tin is used for soldering, for preparing foils, for metal coatings to prevent chemical action and corrosion, for panel lighting etc.
4) Lead is used in making water pipes, in pigments, batteries, in alloys etc.
5) Titanium finds extensive use in aircraft industries
6) Almost all metals including Zr, Ti find wide applications in atomic and space programmes and experiments.
8) Mercury is used in thermometers.
Uses of Non – metals:
1) Sulphur is used in making compounds like sulpha drugs, sulphuric acid, in matches, in gun powder , for vulcanization of rubber etc.
2) Boron, in the form of compound borax, is used in making skin ointments.
3) Phosphorus is used in making crackers.
4) Oxygen is used for respiration.
5) Chlorine, in the form of bleaching powder, is used for purification of water.
6) Carbon is used as a fuel, as electrodes ( graphite ), as a reducing agent in metallurgy.
7) Oxygen, hydrogen and nitrogen are used by all living things, they are the ‘building blocks’ of life.
8) Iodine is used to prevent thyroid problems.
Uses of Metals and Non Metals Video
Useful for CBSE, ICSE, NCERT & International Students
Grade : 8
Subject : Chemistry
Lesson : Metals and Non Metals
Topic: Uses of Metals and Non Metals Video
Visit www.oztern.com to find personalized test preparation solutions for Pre Medical – AIPMT, AIIMS, JIPMER, State, Pre Engineering – IIT JEE, JEE MAIN, BITSAT, State and Foundations – Class 6 to 10.