Physical Properties of Metals:
The metals have a shiny appearance, they show a metallic luster. Due to their shiny appearance they can be used in jewellery and decorations. Particularly gold and silver are widely used for jewellery. In the old days, mirrors were made of shiny metals like silver. Silver is a very good reflector. It reflects about 90% of the light falling on it. All modern mirrors contain a thin coating of metals (Watch Physical Properties of Metals Video to learn more).
Metals show following general physical properties.
1) Physical state – Metals are solids at room temperature e.g. sodium, aluminium , potassium, magnesium. There are exception to this. Mercury and gallium are metals but they are in liquid state at room temperature.
2) Luster – Metals have a shining surface called luster when freshly prepared. They have a quality of reflecting light from their surface and they can be polished e.g. metals like gold, silver, copper show this property.
3) Malleability – Metals can be beaten into thin sheets. This property is called malleability. Due to this property, metals can be rolled into sheets e.g. aluminium, copper, zinc can be beaten into sheets.
4) Ductility – Metals can be drawn into thin wires. This property is called ductility. For example, 100 grams of silver can be drawn into a thin wire about 200 meters long.
5) Hardness – Metals are generally hard e.g. iron, cobalt, nickel. There are few exceptions to this. Sodium and potassium are soft and they can be cut with a knife.
6) Conduction – Generally, metals are good conductors of heat and electricity because they have free electrons. Silver and copper are the two best conductors . Relatively, lead and bismuth are poor conductors of heat and electricity.
7) Density – Metals generally have high density and they are heavy. Iridium and osmium have the highest densities while lithium has the lowest density.
Physical Properties of Metals Video
Useful for CBSE, ICSE, NCERT & International Students
Grade : 8
Subject : Chemistry
Lesson : Metals and Non Metals
Topic: Physical Properties of Metals Video
Visit www.oztern.com to find personalized test preparation solutions for Pre Medical – AIPMT, AIIMS, JIPMER, State, Pre Engineering – IIT JEE, JEE MAIN, BITSAT, State and Foundations – Class 6 to 10.