The term marasmus is usually accepted as meaning a chronic state of malnutrition of a severe grade. Marasmus is a severe form of malnutrition. The disease is generally seen in the infants. Marasmus is often been considered as a strong indicative of overall undernourishment. It is also referred to a disease occurring owing to the protein deficiency in children. It seems to be related to early weaning or to a failure in breast feeding, when inadequate substitutes for mother’s milk are provided, and it often appears following a bout of diarrhea or some other disease (Watch Marasmus Video to learn more).
Marasmus is an extremely severe type of nutrition disorder in which there is significant wasting of fats, muscles, and tissues of the body. The disease occurs due to shortage of basic nutrition, proteins, vitamins and calories to the body. Marasmus is a serious problem and is commonly detected in the developing regions like Africa, Latin America and south Asia.
- Improper feeding.
- Infection-e.g., pyelitis, otitis media, toxasmias of the new-born. Syphilis and tuberculosis may produce this picture, and are mentioned in view of the importance of differentiating these from the more purely nutritional type.
- Congenital weakness of disease-e.g., prematurity, congenital heart disease.
- Defective hygiene.
Symptoms of Marasmus:
- Chronic diarrhea
- Severe weight loss
- Change in level of consciousness
- Paralysis of legs
- Loss of bowel and bladder control
Treatments for Marasmus:
Following are some of the treatments for marasmus:
- Vitamin B5 treatment
- Treatment for hypoglycaemia
- Treatment for hypothermia
- Treatment for dehydration
- Treatment to overcome electrolyte imbalance
- Treatment for any infections
- During the treatment, the patient is provided with the required proteins, vitamins, minerals and fats.
Useful for CBSE, ICSE, NCERT & International Students
Grade : 9
Subject : Biology
Lesson : Why Do We Fall Ill?
Topic: Marasmus Video
Visit www.oztern.com to find personalized test preparation solutions for Pre Medical – AIPMT, AIIMS, JIPMER, State, Pre Engineering – IIT JEE, JEE MAIN, BITSAT, State and Foundations – Class 6 to 10.