Comparison of Metal and Non Metal:
All the elements can be classified as metals or non-metals depending on their properties. Out of the 92 naturally occurring elements, about 70 are identified as metal and about 22 as non-metals. Copper, iron, zinc, aluminium, gold, silver, tungsten displays the properties of metals. Like they produce ringing sound when struck on hard surfaces. They are good conductors of heat and electricity. Chlorine, bromine, helium, oxygen, carbon are known as non-metals. Bromine is liquid while iodine is a soft solid at room temperature. They melt at low temperature, break easily when hammered and are bad conductors of heat and electricity. Non metals normally display properties opposite to that of metals ( Watch Comparison of Metal and Non Metal Video to learn more).
Physical properties of metals:
Metals show following general physical properties.
1) Physical state – Metals are solids at room temperature e.g. sodium, aluminium , potassium, magnesium. There are exception to this. Mercury and gallium are metals but they are in liquid state at room temperature.
2) Luster – Metals have a shining surface called luster when freshly prepared. They have a quality of reflecting light from their surface and they can be polished e.g. metals like gold, silver, copper show this property.
Physical properties of non-metals:
Non- metals show properties opposite to that of metals.
1) Physical state – Non-metals can exist in solid or liquid or gaseous state at room temperature. . For example, carbon, sulphur, phosphorus, iodine are in solid state, bromine is in liquid state while oxygen, nitrogen, chlorine are in gaseous state at room temperature.
2) Luster – Non-metals do not have luster. They do not reflect light from their surface. Non-metals have dull appearance. For example, sulphur, phosphorus and carbon show this property.
3) Malleability – Non-metals are non-malleable. If solids, they are brittle i.e. they break or shatter on hammering. For example, coal, sulphur, phosphorus are brittle.
Comparison of Metal and Non Metal Video
Useful for CBSE, ICSE, NCERT & International Students
Grade : 8
Subject : Chemistry
Lesson : Metals and Non Metals
Topic: Comparison of Metal and Non Metal Video
Visit www.oztern.com to find personalized test preparation solutions for Pre Medical – AIPMT, AIIMS, JIPMER, State, Pre Engineering – IIT JEE, JEE MAIN, BITSAT, State and Foundations – Class 6 to 10.